Saturday, April 4, 2009
Monday, March 30, 2009
The first is a Spicy Spiral which I have made before, but this time I just wasn't concentrating and ended with 2 halves exactly the same. Fortunately I had enough fabric to make a correction and all is well. The picture is a little fuzzy, but perhaps you can see that the fabric is all fruits. Previously I made one with all vegetables. They should look good together (eventually)!
I really love the Moda Bake Shop blog with all their cutsy ideas of projects using their bakeshop products. Of course you can adapt any fabric to their patterns and I did so with this little bag from leftover strips of Kaffe Fassett. It was fun making it until it came towards the end. As with the Spiral, I managed to work my way through it. I figure the little granddaughters may like it. If you decide to make one, don't expect (or want) it to look exactly like mine. Yours will have a rounded flap.
We had a memorable event on Saturday when my granddaughter Jenna was baptized by her father. She is such a sweetheart and we are so proud of her. She is a loving child and keeps us laughing all the time. She showed me her new birthstone necklace her "other" Grandmother gave her. I asked her what the stone was and she said it was an Avril Lavigne! Oh these kids! It was an aquamarine. Like I said, she keeps us laughing! After the baptism we visited the St. George Temple grounds for pictures and then went to Jenna's favorite Restaurant "The Golden Trough" as Grandpa refers to it!!
A great ending to the weekend came when I attended a Court of Honor to witness my grandson Zachary receive merit badges as well as his First Class. On his way to Eagle! Way to go Zach!
Friday, March 27, 2009
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
I decided this week that I needed a break from quilting and took on a project that I said I would never do - an apron. When I visited the Quilt Cottage in Hurricane last week they had an apron on display and I couldn't resist buying the pattern. Several years ago I went on a Mary Engelbreit buying spree and have barely touched the stacks since. When I saw the apron I promptly thought of all that ME fabric taking up space and my mind went to work. This was a very easy pattern and used up some of the stash but not enough to make a dent. So, aprons are on my Christmas gift list and of course they will be made from ME fabric. I have some fabric that wouldn't work cut into strips so I'm going to adapt the pattern to a whole piece of fabric style. This pattern is a good stash buster since it is lined with with an equal amount of fabric.
I have one more quilt that needs binding for the quilt show, but first I have to beat it into submission to make it lay flat. That is on my to do list today. With last week being Spring Break and lots of kiddies in and out of the house, as well as a sick husband moaning and groaning, not much was done in the sewing room. Kids wanted to swim as the weather was so delightful. You can see the new church in the background and notice how close it is to our house. It is actually across the street from our backyard, but since our lot is enclosed by a wall, it isn't just a hop, skip and a jump to get there, but it is wonderful to have it nearby. It is a beautiful building - a little cramped for the 3 large Wards that meet there, but still nice and new and fresh.
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Since I had purchased the "filling" tip, I wanted to make filled cupcakes. Below is the lemon filling from the Wilton website. It is really tart and sweet. http://www.wilton.com/cupcakes/ has mounds of filling recipes and decorating ideas. I studied this site a lot.
Ta da!! They are beautiful and they taste even better! I guess using the real unsalted butter and whole milk (which I never buy) paid off.
I was asked to provide a table decoration for our church's women group at tonights fancy dinner. I decided to incorporate the cupcakes into the birthday theme and add a few balloons and confetti. Since it was a quasi birthday party, I made a little gift for everyone sitting at my table. Each person received a cute potholder! We were also asked to participate in an activity that resulted in a service of our choice to be auctioned to the highest bidder based on a point system. I was in a quandry as to what I could donate and at the same time be realistic about being able to complete it. I decided on providing a dozen gourmet (ha) cupcakes for the occasion of their choice. The goodies actually received a very high bid. I later found out that the person who did the final bid is a master cake decorator and since becoming confined to a wheelchair hasn't been able to bake and decorate any longer for her children. She thought the cupcakes were really cute and pretty. I'm glad she is getting them and hope she likes them.
Monday, March 2, 2009
All sliced and ready to make more! This is fun!
Four completed and ready to be washed. Hmmmm, looks pretty boring so far.
Washed, dried - its a miracle! They look so cool. Hard to believe they are all made with the same fabrics. Its a surprise to see them after the wash and dry process. Its just a matter of how they are stacked before sewing. I did all 4 bindings differently and decided the one on the left (below) worked the best.
Here is a closeup of the finished product.
By the way, below is the binding project that pushed me over the edge! Glad it is finished!