Sunday, February 15, 2009

NEW FAVORITE TOY AND FABRIC STORAGE!

I purchased this new size ruler for 2 reasons: First it was one I didn't have and second I like the 8.5" width. I discovered that it is just the right width for cutting fabric to go through the printer. It also is much easier to cut wide borders with this wider ruler. I might mention that I already have a 24" one that is this width, but this one is cuter!
When I purchase fabric that is not going to be used right away and needs to find a home on one of the many shelves, I fold it as in the following photos. This new ruler does the job just right! I first fold the fabric in half lengthwise so it is now in 4 layers. Lay it down on the cutting table, put the 8.5" ruler on top and start folding.
Over and over!Over and over again and again...til finished. Pull out the ruler and now I have a nice neat bundle. I can count the folds and figure I have 1/4 yard for each fold. Of course that is approximate because 1/4 yard is 9" not 8.5", but is a really good estimation. Onto the shelf neat and tidy. I try to stack fabric by color or theme. This picture is not a good example of that, but just wanted to take a quick picture. This method has made my closet very manageable. Needs tweeking every now and then, but ordinarily is tidy.


2 comments:

Nedra said...

I keep thinking that someday I am going to make my shelves look neat and tidy. The ruler method looks like a great way to start!

Browndirtcottage said...

Great excuse to buy a new ruler.....this is a good idea!