Tuesday, January 13, 2009

HANNAH - BANANA!











My cute 10 yr. old granddaughter Hannah said she wanted to make a quilt to enter in the upcoming quilt show. So I let her go shopping in my fabric closet and she picked out great combinations! She has done about 99% of the quilt by herself - even the rotary cutting. A couple of years ago I purchased a Klutz glove after someone in a class I was attending cut right through her hand. Needless to say, I've never used it but I did pull it out for Hannah's project. Her quilt top is complete and ready to be quilted. Unfortunately I have introduced her to "quilting by check" at an early age, but that's the way I do it! She is still tossing around some names for the quilt. I think she will be a winner at the quilt show in April don't you??? It is my thought that if the art of quilting is going to survive, "each one teach one" will need to be continued by us oldies but goodies! I was glad to hear that our local schools incorporate quilting in their home economics classes and that a couple of the schools have long arm machines!

1 comment:

Nedra said...

Hannah is a cutie and I think she will win for sure! Good for you for teaching her. You are right, our skills need to be passed down to the next generation.