Tuesday, January 13, 2009

OH MY ACHING FEET!!!


Yesterday I spent many hours at the Innova Long Arm Training Center http://www.terylloy.com/ quilting away on this monster quilt. Since it was my first time at this adventure, I took a quilt that I figured I would never show to anyone! I made every "artistic" mistake possible. I sewed an entire row with no bobbin thread; went over designs twice many times (I call it thread art); ran out of bobbin thread six inches before the last row was finished, etc. etc. Since I was using a pantograph and couldn't see how it was doing on the other side of the machine, I was flying blind! I made loops when there should have been points, I overlapped the big loops, I accidently pushed the green button when draging the machine back across the quilt and guess what - it made a new quilting design! Glad there was a seam ripper handy. After it was all said and done, it doesn't look bad for a first time. When I got home after 6 fun filled hours, I went straight for the Advil, dinner and bed. It is hard work! I really can appreciate what the longarmers go through. I had won 8 hours of time on the machine as a door prize and guess what??? Teryl awarded me another 8 hours for giving her a referral! She knows that if I give it another try, I'll eventually catch on! I would like to be able to have my quilts done faster, but they will only be limited to non-heirlooms! Thanks Teryl and Jeryl for the encouragement and LOTS of help. I have been trying to use up stash and this quilt is from that category. In case you ever want to try your hand at using a long arm machine, Teryl rents out time on the machines - http://www.terylloy.com/

1 comment:

Nedra said...

I've been wanting to go over to Teryl's and look at her machines. Everyone is talking about them. Definetly on my to do list.
Good for you for giving it such a good try.